The Chelsea Area Fire Authority (CAFA) was formed in 1999 under Act 57 of 1988
after being known as the Chelsea Fire Department, which was organized in 1888
and formed on March 19th, 1889. Chelsea's first fire
station was built on W. Middle St and
moved three times before returning again to its
CURRENT LOCATION (click
to view flyer) on W. Middle
St in 1963.
Pictured in 1909, the Chelsea Fire Department was formed in 1889 with
John Palmer served as the first Fire Chief followed by Adam Eppler, Howard Brooks,
Thomas Young, Homer Balmer, James Gaken, Paul Hankerd, Daniel Ellenwood,
and currently James Payeur.